Friday, 02 December 2011 09:57
Dogfish releases new Ancient Ale: Ta Henket
Milton, DE (December 2011) - Ta Henket, the latest addition to Dogfish Head's line of Ancient Ales, rolls out this month.
Inspired by a trip to the Great Pyramids, Dogfish Head Founder & President Sam Calagione created Ta Henket with ingredients and traditions outlined in Egyptian hieroglyphics.
"It was like a Rosetta Stone visit," he says. "That's the first depiction of the brewing process, the birthplace of our vocation."
This earthy liquid time capsule is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile and dom-palm fruit. The spiciness comes from zatar, a mixture of herbs found at a Cairo street market.
To ferment Ta Henket, Sam and friends traveled to a date grove near the pyramids, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian yeast strain.
"It was the strangest picnic I've ever been on," he said.
This 4.5% ABV Ancient Ale goes well with grilled fish, pork chops, roasted vegetables and feta cheese.
Ta Henket is available in 750ml bottles and on draft and will be distributed throughout Dogfish Head's national network.
Read 519 times | Like this? Tweet it to your followers!
Published in Top Headlines
Erin Peters is The Beer Goddess
Latest from Erin
- Local Suds! Can an Ambitious New Thousand Palms Brewery Put the Coachella Valley on the Craft-Beer Map?
- Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest - 2013
- Alaskan Summer Ale returns for 2013 season
- Kensington Brewing Company Announces Launch of Community Supported Beer (CSB) initiative
- Breckenridge Brewery (CO) and Champion Brewing Co. (VA) join forces to create the WORK Collaboration Brew